Housing Types / Options

Here you can find information on the different housing options which may be available to you. It covers: 

  • Different types of housing

  • Information on what to expect in each

Get started below.

Foster Care/Staying Put


If fostered you don’t always have to leave at 16 or 17, especially if you can learn the skills you need, helped by your carer, you may be able to stay on after 18 years (Staying Put arrangement). This is an arrangement that can be considered for young people to stay with their carer after 18.


Supported Lodgings 


This is where you live in someone else’s home where ‘the provider’ gives you a place to live and some support but you will have more independence. 


Residential Care 


You might be able to stay after you are 16 if you need and want to. But it is important that the Residential Care team and your worker help you move forward to live independently. 


Supported Accommodation 


Once you turn 18 your worker can help you apply to the Essex Young Peoples Partnership who provides a range of Supported Housing Options. 


Your worker will assist you in accessing supported accommodation, based on your needs when you approach 18. 


Shared Lives 


This is an option for those with greater support needs, and would enable young people who cannot live alone without support to remain with their previous carer. 


Supported Living 


This is also for those with greater support needs, details can be found in the SEND Local Offer. 


Council or Housing Association flat or bed-sit 


This is where the Council or a Housing Association is the landlord and usually the tenant has more security. Some District Councils are able to offer a limited number of direct nominations for social housing to Care Leavers. This is dependent on the applicant demonstrating self-management skills and the assessment of your Personal Adviser. 


Private Rent 


Privately rented accommodation can be a self-contained or a shared flat. Rents can be higher and landlords can be choosy about who they let their properties to. Your worker will support you to explore what is your best option and to register with the appropriate housing service. 


Lodgings or Sharing 


Living in someone else’s house may be cheaper and less lonely than living in a place of your own. It is a good idea to have a written agreement with the people who you are living with about your rent, bills and responsibilities.

IMPORTANT! - Tenancy Agreements


A tenancy agreement (or licence) is a legal document, which entitles the person or tenant to live in a property, and outlines the responsibilities that go with this. You will have to sign one for most types of accommodation. 


There are different types of tenancy agreements, which give you legal rights. Whatever type of agreement you have, make sure that you read it before signing it and get advice if you are not sure from someone you know or trust or an organisation such as Citizens Advice. 


You should also make sure that you are given a copy at the time it is signed.