Financial Help - Funding Providers

In this section, we will look at different bodies and organisations that can provide you with funding (money). It covers:

  • Organisations that can provide financial help

  • What they can offer

Get started below.


All of the providers listed below are mentioned in other sections of this website and we have put links at the end of the section:


The Department of Works and Pensions (DWP)


This may also be known as Jobcentreplus.  It is a government department, which is responsible for paying people’s benefits.  If you claim Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Sure Start Maternity Payment you will make a claim to the DWP.

HM Revenue and Customs


This is also a government department.  It collects all the tax that is paid by people in the UK. It is also responsible for paying Child Benefit if you have a child. 

Education and Skills Funding Agency


This government department runs the Care to Learn scheme, which can help young parents with the cost of childcare while they study. Young parents must be under the age of 20 and it is available for publicly funded courses in colleges and sixth form colleges, schools, academies, and training providers. The funding goes straight to the child care provider. 


Student Finance England


This is also another government department, which lends money to people who want to go on to higher education.  So, for example, if you want to go to university you would need to borrow money from them to pay the fees and for living expenses.

Claiming money from schools/colleges/universities


Certain funding for education is accessible to you and you will need to make a claim through your education provider. The type of funding may one of the following:


  • 16 to 19 Bursary

  • Scholarships to University

  • University Bursary

You should talk to your school/college or university to see what kind of funding may be available. 


Charities, Trusts or Companies


These may offer you money to study at university.  This type of funding may be in the form of a bursary or scholarship that you do not need to pay back or it might have conditions attached such as you needing to work for them when you have finished your studies.

You should talk to an adult who supports you to find out about these sources of funding. 




NHS health costs


The primary responsibility of the NHS is as a healthcare provider. Therefore in order to ensure everyone stays healthy, they provide some help for people.


Certain people can get free NHS prescriptions.  There is a long list of people who can get a free prescription which is available on the NHS website but you will be included if you are:


  • Under 16

  • 16 - 18 and in full-time education

  • Are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months

  • Are receiving universal credit (there is a set criteria for this, not everyone will receive it, you can learn more about who can receive help here)


You may also be able to get other NHS costs paid for such as:


  • Dental treatment

  • Eye tests and help to pay for glasses or contact lenses

  • Reimbursement of fares to hospital 


Healthy Start Vouchers


Healthy Start Vouchers can be exchanged for items such as milk, fruit and vegetables in local shops.


You qualify for Healthy Start if you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and you or your family get:

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance *

  • Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less per year

  • Pension Credit; or

  • Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of £408 or less per month for the family. (To find this refer to your Universal Credit award notice in the section “your take-home pay for this month”.)

You also qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, even if you don’t get any of the above benefits.

Click here to find out how to apply for Healthy Start -

District Council - Council Tax

If you are over 18, whether you live on your own or in a shared accommodation you will need to pay council tax to your local district council.  Although the District Council will not give you money to pay your council tax they have ways of helping you reduce the amount you pay to them in council tax depending on your circumstances. 


The main reductions to look out for are Care Leavers Discretionary Reduction, Student Exemption and Single Person Discount.

Learn more about financial help from councils here. 


Essex County Council - Leaving and After Care Service


Essex County Council has a leaving and aftercare service, which is there to support all care leavers. You will be allocated a Personal Adviser until you are 21 (possibly until 25).


Your personal adviser can help you access funding for things such as a setting up home grant worth up to £2000, a rent deposit grant, discretionary fees to obtain identification documents, Christmas/festival and birthday gifts, clothing allowance, travel costs and leisure costs.


Further details can be found in


Bus/Train Company


Depending on your circumstances you may be able to apply for a free bus or train pass.


You should speak to local companies and see what may be on offer. 




GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS - You can get money from various government departments. If you don’t think you are getting the right amount of money Citizens Advice can check if you are getting everything you can

EDUCATION - If you carry on in education you may be able to apply for additional money from the schools/college/university. Also, look out for companies or charities that give money out to help pay for education.

NHS - No one thinks of the NHS giving money but they can help with costs of medicine and medical costs that you normally pay for, especially if you are pregnant or have small children.

DISTRICT/COUNTY COUNCIL - There is lots of help out there from your local council both in terms of getting bills reduced and paying for things. You need to speak to your support worker to access this money.