This section of the website is focused on specific issues which affect young people with disabilities:


  • Additional benefits you can claim

  • ECC charges for Adult Social Care

  • Appointeeships 

Get started below.

Equality Act 2010

This is a legal document that protects the rights of people, We have some more detailed information on the act here. 

If you are considered to have a disability in accordance with the terms of this Act you will receive a lot of protection in a number of ways. 


You can find out if you are covered by the act by contacting the Equality Advisory Support Service.

We have more information on the equality act and what it means for you. 




If you are deemed as not capable of working due to sickness or disability, you may be eligible to claim Universal Credit.


You will initially need to supply medical certificates from your GP to support a new claim. You will then enter a 13- week assessment phase where a healthcare professional appointed by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will carry out a work capability assessment. 


There are lots of additional benefits you can claim if you have a disability.  The main one is Personal Independence Payment or it is usually called PIP. PIP can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.


You could get between £23.60 and £151.40 a week if you are over 16 years old. The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. It is very important how you word your claim for PIP and so it is advisable to ask for help when applying. If you have a support worker you could ask them to help or you could ask Citizens Advice for help. 

You can find out more here - https://www.gov.uk/pip

You can claim PIP in addition to Universal Credit and you can even claim if you are working.


If you are under 16 you might be able to claim Disability Living Allowance. 


You should also be aware that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Jobcentre mustn’t discriminate against you when they administer and make decisions about your benefits.


If think you have experienced discrimination, you can get help from the Equality Advisory Support Service discrimination helpline.




You can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass or railcard if you have a condition that makes it hard to get around. You don’t need to have a physical health problem - people with learning disabilities can apply too. 


Someone else can apply on your behalf if you need help with the application.

You’ll be able to travel for free by bus or get 30% off your train tickets.




You can apply to Student Finance England for a Disabled Students Allowance. The amount awarded depends on your individual needs.


Our page on University has more details. 




It’s against the law for employers to discriminate against you because of a disability. The Equality Act 2010 protects you and covers areas including:

  • Application forms

  • Interview arrangements

  • Aptitude or proficiency tests

  • Job offers

  • Terms of employment, including pay

  • Promotion, transfer and training opportunities

  • Dismissal or redundancy

  • Discipline and grievances

Reasonable adjustments in the workplace

An employer has to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to avoid you being put at a disadvantage compared to non-disabled people in the workplace. For example, adjusting your working hours or providing you with a special piece of equipment to help you do the job.


An employer who’s recruiting staff may make limited enquiries about your health or disability.


You can only be asked about your health or disability:

  • To help decide if you can carry out a task that is an essential part of the work

  • To help find out if you can take part in an interview

  • To help decide if the interviewers need to make reasonable adjustments for you in a selection process

  • To help monitoring

  • If they want to increase the number of disabled people they employ

  • If they need to know for the purposes of national security checks

You may be asked whether you have a health condition or disability on an application form or in an interview. You need to think about whether the question is one that is allowed to be asked at that stage of recruitment.

Redundancy and retirement

You can’t be chosen for redundancy just because you’re disabled. The selection process for redundancy must be fair and balanced for all employees.

Your employer cannot force you to retire if you become disabled.




Please refer to our pages on housing.


Where to get help


The Papworth Trust supports people with disabilities.  Click here for their Website. https://www.papworthtrust.org.uk/


Citizens Advice - can provide advice if you think you are subject to discrimination due to your disabilities.  Click here for their website  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/


ECL provides help to people with disabilities including obtaining work experience. https://www.ecl.org/day-centres/work-based-training


Equality Advisory Support Service provides support and advice for people with disabilities. https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/about




MONEY - You can get additional benefits if you have a disability and apply for extra money from student finance.

EQUALITY ACT - This act may give you protection against being discriminated against. This is particularly useful if/when you start work. 

TRAVEL - You might be able to get some discount with costs of travel on public transport.

HELP - There is lots of help out there so make sure you use it.